Monday, March 7, 2011

So much of the things to do

So it turns out that I've been working entirely too much to document anything that's been going on around here. I still have my empty boxes hanging out in my apartment. They're taking up some room though because in moving up here I had this grandiose idea of packing super lightly and starting off with a "simple" life. I didn't factor in more than one of each dish and one set of silverware in this equation or things like a dish drying rack, lighting (because I'm pretty sure my overhead light gives off as much light as my cell phone does), and general homey things. So about $550 later I have things to dry my clothes and dishes on, enough dishes to not have to do them everyday, cleaning things, a couple of lamps and throw pillows. I, however, cannot do anything about my blue bathtub, sink and tile. JWU's color is blue and they are not letting anyone forget about it. I also cannot do anything about how my floor squeaks if I even move a toe. Thank goodness I leave on the top floor. But y'all, it's free, it's a real ass apartment (as opposed to my fake ass apartment at LSU...or more like fake ass kitchen) there's only 3 other people that live in my building (all professional staff) and I don't have to live in a residence hall. BANGARANG.

Things I love about Providence so far (these are all food related):

1. My job comes with a meal plan. I work at a culinary school therefore my meal plan perk is afreakingmazing. Last night I had curried lamb, eggplant massurka and stewed carrots for dinner. Yes, from a cafeteria. A cafeteria that is not run by 50 year old disgruntled cafeteria workers, but by mildly bitter culinary students.

2. My meal plan includes Starbucks. I can get a free venti latte, etc. and a water FO FREE once or twice a day. Is this real life?

3. The bubble tea company. I love bubble tea and have had my fair share, but this place has ENDLESS possibilities and you have the choice of getting lychee or yogurt balls instead of tapioca balls.

4. I'm sure when the snow melts this place will be real pretty like. Right now the snow looks like poop.

Ok, so I have had no time to explore this city thanks to currently being overworked, but hopefully by the time the weather gets pretty I'll have the job more under control. So far so great with the job though.

So people around here are clueless about Mardi Gras which I find hilarious. My RAs decorate the lobbies and windows of my building per season each month. They were only going to do St. Paddy's day for March but I encouraged them to do some Mardi Gras decorations too. One of my windows currently says, "It's Mardi Gras time." It makes me laugh and I love every second of it. I seriously love them so much for attempting to incorporate some of my culture into their decoration and the phrase "It's Mardi Gras time" will make me smile every time I see it. Not, "Let the Good Times Roll" or "Laissez les bon temps roulez," but "It's Mardi Gras Time."

Also, one of the new RAs for this trimester (yes, school here is measured in pregnancy terms...gross) is from Pascagoula. Small, small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment